Tuesday 19 April 2011

Chicken update

It's been a few months since I last posted about the chooks and they've grown a little bit since then. Their combs have gotten bigger so they look a bit more "chickeny" now. The grass that was on their side of the garden has all but disappeared and they're all laying now too so we have eggs galore!

Hen being too busy to be papped

Hen is a completely different chicken now. She's overcome her timidness and whenever I go to clean out the coop she always comes over to oversee things. She goes freaking mental over worms and I mean mental. The other two aren't too fussed, but she goes completely nuts. She also likes creeping underneath the decking and having a good old peck around on her own - the other two are too big to squeeze under there.

Margot, being a bit of a tart for the camera

Margot still has to get her face in to everything. Lately deciding that she also wants to explore the house. I've lost count of the amount of times I've walked into the conservatory to find her stood on the sofa or just having a poke about. She's still the friendliest bird and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a soft spot for her.

Maureen enjoying a dust bath - in my vegetable patch!

Maureen still makes the most noise out of all of them and is the biggest..and clumsiest. She has a habit of getting into my pots and kicking the dirt and plants out of them so I have to keep them covered whenever we let them out of the pen. She also loves her dust baths..she's just loves kicking dirt about basically.

Funniest moments have to have been watching them chase flies, the moment they got freaked out by a hot air balloon and their reaction to McDonald's fries. Never again. If you want a chicken jumping in your lap and clucking in your face, offer it a fry.

There's only been one unfunny moment, when Hen got out and tore up all my newly planted seedlings and sunflowers in the vegetable patch. I may have threatened her with the cooking pot. But only in the heat of the moment.

Other than that little hiccup, I am so glad we got them. They're so much fun and oddly addictive to watch. The eggs are a pretty good bonus too!

 

3 comments:

  1. You make me want chickens, too! I think Margot is my favourite, she sounds so cheeky. Can you make a little video of them?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a good idea! I never seem to be able to get a good photo of them so this would be perfect. I'll see what I can do for you La. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always wanted chickens and this makes me want them even more! My friends Mum is called Margot and her neighbour Maureen, I can't help but think of them when reading this post!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might be interested in..



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...