Sunday 22 January 2012

Bump update - 8 months

Today we reached 32 weeks.

My belly is huge and my walk has been replaced with a definite waddle. Also, the stretch marks have appeared although you can't see them in the photo. Only two little ones so far, but no doubt more will follow. Surprisingly, I don't care. I thought I would, but it just seems like such a silly thing to be concerned about now. Besides, I've had stretch marks since I was a teenager so a few more won't make a difference.

On the down side, pelvic pain is a real issue at the moment. It's the reason for the waddle and if I don't keep on top of it, it can bring me to tears some days.
Exhaustion has also returned which is why I've neglected this blog these past two weeks and that coupled with the pelvic pain makes it difficult to get anything done. We had an 'away day' at work recently and by 3.30pm when we wrapped up, I was so tired that while everyone else went to the bar for a drink, I went home and for a kip on the sofa!
Driving is starting to get uncomfortable too. My legs keep bumping into my belly and it pushes everything up into my diaphragm, which makes me breathless and hurty.

We had a slight scare a couple of weeks ago. I won't go into the gory details, but I called the midwife and she told us to come up to the maternity suite to get checked out. After half an hour of being monitored and being examined by the Doctor, we were relieved to find out everything was fine. They couldn't tell me what had caused the bleeding or other symptoms I'd had, but Pip was happy and that was all that mattered.
It was strange being there, surrounded by women who were over due and also being monitored to see if they were suitable for C-sections or inductions and what not. Also as we were all having our babies monitored at the same time, the place sounded like a drum and bass club with all the little heartbeats going at once. I'd be lying if I said me and Dan didn't throw some shapes behind our curtained off section.

On a much brighter note, Pip's continuing to be her awesome little self. She's had a major growth spurt so I now feel pretty much any movement she makes. She gets hiccups regularly and because she's head down, I always feel them near my bum. It's such a weird feeling. She's also taken to sticking out a knee or something right in the middle of my belly which gets quite painful after a while. I have to push it back gently which is just weird. Not as weird as when I felt her foot sticking out for the first time. I felt this poke and instinctively put my hand on my belly to feel a small, narrow little lump. It pushed against my hand momentarily and then disappeared. It was both lovely and a little freaky all at once.

And that's about it. I start maternity leave in 6 weeks which I can't quite get my head around. The thought that someone else will be sat at my desk, doing my job is a little scary. Like I'm being replaced.
That said, I think that as soon as I actually leave and especially when Pip arrives, I won't give two hoots who is doing my job!

It's just mind blowing that our lives are going to change so dramatically in a couple of months. It's scary as heck and I'm not sure I'm ever going to feel prepared for her arrival, but I love her to bits already and fingers crossed, that will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might be interested in..



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...